Tuesday 3 May 2011

My Paddle

Lightning Freeride Paddles




My initial thoughts on the blades were how strong the catch was. Being used to slalom blades, I imagined less power but the catch on these blades was solid.
On forward strokes, as previously said, the catch is very strong and you feel a nice connection between blade and water. It feels planted. As the stroke continues back it continues to stay very stable in the water, and provided nice resistance to pull the boat past. Overall this is a very powerful blade even being the smaller of the two lightning non buoyant blades.
The shaft is extremely ovaled, this gave me lots of control with my blade angle. This leads on to how I felt they were on rudders, they sliced surprisingly nicely for a creeking blade, and again the power and connection to the water felt very strong. 

After paddling with them more, I am finding that they are a lot easier on the wrists and elbows, due to the nice flex in the blade. They also seem bomb proof, and from the stories that are being told from the testing in Nepal they are!

Thanks for reading,

David Bain